Work in Canada as a Student

It is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to study in Canada for a world-class education while also earning money and gaining valuable work experience as well. If you choose to work on-campus at your university or college or off-campus, international students in Canada have an excellent option of doing both without needing a Canadian work visa. I know you will like to know how this can be possible. Read on to know how you can work in Canada as a student without work permit.

Work on-Campus
Full-time students at a public post-secondary institution such as a college, university, or a private post-secondary institution working under the same rules and regulations as a public institution are offered to work without a permit. But you must have a valid study permit and a Social Insurance Number to be eligible and start working in Canada as an international student once your study program has officially begun.
You are free to work for any of the following employers:
the school
– a faculty member;
– a student organization;
yourself, if:
you control a business that is physically situated on-campus (for example you own a coffee shop that is located on campus)
a private business
a private supplier that provides on-campus services to the school
You can work up to 20 hours per week during the term and work full-time during your holiday as a study permit holder; but you must meet the following requirements as a student permit holder:
You are a full-time student at a selected Learning Institution;
You are enrolled in;
a post-secondary program or
a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)
Your study program;
is at least 6 months long and
leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate
If you are a part-time student you must meet the entire above-mentioned standard and ensure that you are in your final semester and do not have a full course load. Working off-campus as an intern can give you valuable experience in your field of interest as desire.
Work as an Intern
As part of the curriculum, some academic programs require that you gain work experience. So, you will need to apply for a work permit as well as a study permit. To qualify, you will need to make sure that your intended employment is an important part of your study program and you must obtain a certified letter from a responsible academic official of the institution. Unluckily, you will not qualify if you study English or French as a second language (ESL or FSL) and if you participate in general interest or preparatory courses.

What do you think?

Written by Samuel

A developer, designer, author, instructor and season writer with broad knowledge.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Canada Education System

Work in Canada as a Student